My weekend is starting, perhaps as it is for many geeks in NorthAmerica out there.
Those of you wondering how to help Haiti relief efforts with your knowledge and time (or money) can take a look at the following projects:
- Haiti OpenStreeMap response – this blog post illustrates nicely how open & free data is helping
- Sahana Free and Open Source Disaster Management System – name says it all, this is hardly a new project. Check out the wiki and join the IRC channel. Yes, they use Launchpad.
- Telecom sans Frontières – perhaps offer to volunteer there or make a donation
- SMS donations are very easy to do – and surprisingly effective it seems
- Last but not least check your local civil emergency authorities. In Quebec province anyone can join a local database of volunteers ready to offer their time & expertise to help, on site, or from Quebec, when such requirement is deemed appropriate.
Remember there are many ways you can help in the above projects & efforts, without necessarily limiting that to money or physical presence.
Wiki cleanup, documentation, translation, or even just advertising any of the above projects in your social networks may go a long way.
Have a nice weekend!