Well, it looks like its finally happened, you can now Shop for Ubuntu as Dell has put it.
Here are a few links that may help anyone interested get accurate and complete information:
- Information about Dell on Ubuntus site, including a description of the support plans avilable
- Dell Open Source, the new site where you can Shop for Ubuntu but also Shop for FreeDOS
- Ubuntus official support web site
- Ubuntu forums thread where you can ask me questions directly
- Dell’s Linux wiki including technical details about the Ubuntu 7.04 factory install: drivers used in each model, customization, etc.
- Dell’s FAQ for Ubuntu
- Dell’s Linux forums
- Todays official press release from Dell, including pictures and detailed system specs
- Search results for Ubuntu on Dells site, which will return quite a few useful technical articles
- Information about media codecs: list of supported codecs with links to Wikipedia, handling restricted formats (including video, audio and DVD) – in many cases Ubuntu 7.04 will detect and automatically suggest needed packages when a codec is missing – no need for tools like Automatix.
- Modems and Wireless will be the only hardware with non-free drivers, but will work out-of-the box. Carefully read this post on Dells blog for more details.
- help.ubuntu.com – well, you guessed it, it’s Ubuntu’s help site. 🙂
In case you missed it in the list above, I have started a new thread where you can ask me questions directly or just start new discussions on related subjects. Id rather not close comments here and handle questions there for everyone to see, lets see what happens.
I hope this helps a bit and if you have other information Ill be glad to edit my post.